Friday, March 06, 2009

The Cat in the Hat

Well, we got a new computer a couple weeks ago, and for some reason, there seems to be a problem when we try to load the Kodak picture software onto it. So, it may be a bit before I can put some pictures up. Sorry!

I'm almost done with my elementary student teaching placement, then I'm off to the middle school level. Last week we celebrated Dr. Seuss's birthday at school. One of my students came up to me, looking very confused, holding a Dr. Seuss book. Here is the conversation that took place:

Student: I don't get it.
Me: What don't you get?
Student: Is Dr. Seuss still alive?
Me: No, he's not alive anymore, but we still celebrate his birthday because he wrote so many great books for us.
Student: How old would he be?
Me: (I google this information to find out out he WOULD have been 105, which really impresses the student).
Student: Well, I still don't get it. (long pause) How could he write books if he was a cat? I didn't think cats knew how to write.
Me: That is a very good question. Dr. Seuss was not really a cat. He was a man that wrote books about cats and other fun things we like to read about.
Student: Oh, you mean this isn't Dr. Seuss (student points to the Cat in the Hat).
Me: Nope, that is the Cat in the Hat. He is a character in a book Dr. Seuss wrote, but that's not Dr. Seuss. Would you like to see a picture of the real Dr. Seuss?
Student: Yes!!!
Me: (I google him again and find the pic below on good 'ole wikipedia) Here's a picture of the real Dr. Seuss.
Student: Oh, so he's not a cat!

I'm just glad I cleared this up for her before she moves onto third grade:-)

4 comments:

Candace said...

Kids are so innocent, you have to love them. :)

Ashley said...

So I'm sitting in a really boring class reading this right now- and I'm trying REALLY hard not to burst out laughing- which would of course be really awkward. Too funny. I'm gonna have to share that one.

Karine and Tom said...

Too cute! I love the way kids have no shame about asking and asking until something is clear. That cat is EVERYWHERE when people talk about Dr. Seuss! I can totally see how he was confused.
It doesn't sound like you had to explain much about his last name not actually being Seuss or not having a doctor's office. It's probably better that way. :)

Amy said...

That story made me laugh! The first of many "teachable moments" you will encounter. You handled it like a champion!
Love,
Amy